#navbar { display: none; }

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mint Julep Appetizer

Motivation
This drink is inspired by the molecular mixology recipe for a Mai Tai 3000 I read at this cocktail blog.  I bought my agar-agar at an Asian market.  From reading on the internet you can buy agar-agar in three forms: sticks, flakes, and powder.  I think I bought the sticks.  It was very light and my digital scale didn't seem to be accurate enough to accurately measure it (I would need fractional grams).  Since I couldn't get a good measurement I ended up with using roughly two inches of agar-agar stick.

Ingredients
~2 inches of Agar-Agar
3 oz Water
4 oz Bourbon
Mint Leaves
Course Sugar

Mise en Place
Place water in small sauce pan then break agar-agar into flakes and add to the water.  Heat over low to medium-low heat and whisk until the agar-agar has dissolved in the water.  This may take 5 minutes or so of stirring.  If the agar-agar is not well dissolved the resulting jelly will have chewy bits in it.  Once agar-agar is dissolved add bourbon to pan and stir to integrate well.  Pour mixture into glass container such that it will form a layer about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch thick.  Cover and place in fridge until set (this sets pretty quickly - maybe a half-an-hour or so).

Method
To serve place a large mint leaf on a big shallow spoon.  Place roughly a tablespoon of bourbon jelly on mint leaf.  Sprinkle course sugar over jelly and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment