#navbar { display: none; }

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mojito Experiment

Motivation
The garden has mint and we just bought a bag of limes, it seems like mojitos might be in order.  This is also an excellent excuse to play with the nitro infusion technique the we tried out the other day.  I'm not much of a mojito aficionado, but I suspect its one of those drinks Dawn wishes I was better at concocting.  I thought it might be fun to make mojitos two ways: Method A will use traditional mudding, Method B will use pressure to infuse the mint into the drink.  I don't really have a goto mojito recipe, so I pulled one out of cocktail book as a starting place.

Ingredients
2g Mint (a couple of sprigs)
1/2 Lime, Juiced
2 1/2 oz Rum
1/2 oz Simple Syrup (a.k.a. Gomme Syrup)
2 oz Soda Water
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Method A (Traditional)
Place mint in glass and muddle.  Add the juice of half a lime, rum, simple syrup, and bitters - stir.  (I also threw the spent lime half in the glass.)  Add ice then top off with soda water.  Garnish with additional mint.

Method B (New Fangled)
Place mint, lime juice, rum, simple syrup, bitters, and spent lime half in the whipper canister.  Charge with nitrous oxide.  Wait for 3 minutes, swirling every 30 seconds or so.  Vent off gas.  Pour contents of whipper canister into glass, top with ice and soda water.  Garnish with additional mint.

Verdict
The mojitos were OK, but I think the basic recipe needs tweaking.  We like our drinks tart rather than sweet, so next time I'll up the amount of lime juice and use less sugar.  Both of us selected the nitro infused mojito as better, but just slightly so.  The flavors were cleaner and the appearance more attractive.  In practice I'm not sure its worth expending a nitrous oxide cartridge for the slight improvement.



Update!! 
I ended up making mojitos again after getting some advice from a friend.  Here is the much improved recipe.

Ingredients
Mint
1/2 tsp Sugar
2 1/2 oz Lime Juice
2 1/2 oz Rum
2 dashes Bitters (hey, I like bitters)
2 1/2 oz Soda Water

Method
Put mint in the glass, add sugar and muddle.   Add lime juice and rum to glass (I also added half a spent lime that was then quartered to give the cocktail that rustic look).  Add soda water and ice, then stir.  Garnish with additional mint.

This was much more tart and way less sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment