#navbar { display: none; }

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Potatoes Lyonaise

Motivation
I had potatoes and I wanted to try something different besides cutting them up, tossing them in olive oil, and roasting them.  This recipe is adapted from the Professional Chef cookbook.

Ingredients
2 Baking Potatoes
1/2 Large Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
Olive Oil
Thyme
Chili Powder
Black Pepper

Mise en Place
Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 cm slices.  Add potato slices to boiling salted water to parboil.  I cooked them for 10 minutes.  Remove potato slices from water and pat dry.  Thinly slice onion and mince garlic (I used a garlic press).


Method
Add olive oil to large skillet and set to medium/medium-high heat.  Add onion slices to pan and sauté until fragrant, maybe a minute or so.  Add potato slices, garlic, and spices.  Use spices to season to taste.  I just chose thyme, chili powder, and black pepper on a whim.  I maybe added a teaspoon of each.  Stir potatoes occasionally so they all make contact with the bottom of the pan at some point.  Be sure to let them sit long enough to start developing a crispy brown crust.  You may have to add additional oil or butter if crust is not forming.

Verdict
Pretty great.  I might have parboiled them for a couple minutes too long because they were already starting to fall apart when I started to sauté them.  The flavor and texture were good.  While excellent, they could easily handle more aggressive seasoning.  Maybe add rosemary next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment